Homeward DC, the ICH Strategic Plan (2015 - 2020), lays out a bold vision:
Together, we will end long-term homelessness in the District of Columbia. By 2020, homelessness in the District will be a rare, brief, and non-recurring experience.
The plan is built on three major goals:
- Finish the job of ending homelessness among Veterans by the end of 2015;
- End chronic homelessness among individuals and families by the end of 2017; and
- By 2020, any household experiencing housing loss will be rehoused within an average of 60 days or less.
The plan identifies a series of action items across five key strategies. The five key strategies are:
- Develop a more effective crisis response system;
- Increase the supply of affordable and supportive housing;
- Remove barriers to affordable and supportive housing;
- Increase the economic security of households in our system; and
- Increase prevention efforts to stabilize households before housing loss occurs.
We know that homelessness is solvable when we have a common vision, we keep a laser-like focus on outcomes, and we have the resources to get the job done. Together, we can ensure that homelessness in the District of Columbia is a rare, brief, and non-recurring experience.